By Mustafa Suleman
The Duke of Edinburg visited the Lebus factory on 10 November 1955, during his tour it was suggested to him that the men in the factory would like to make some modern model furniture for Princess Anne, his Royal Highness agreed; however the young Princess did not have a dolls house.
Sir Herman Lebus secretly commissioned the construction of a dolls house to be designed by architect James Cubitt. The construction was to be led by Edmund Zala with the work carried out by a three man team consisting of Stefan Buzas, Albert Parish and Frank Blunden.
The four men worked in secret all winter and spring to complete the house (which took six months to build) for a presentation at Buckingham Palace that was being organised by Sir Herman.
The two-storey house is approximately 6ft long and 3ft high and has the following features:
Detailed miniature furniture
Miniature working radio capable of receiving BBC programmes
Tiny pond and a fountain that works
Two electric cars in the garage
Castors with rubber tires
On 13 July 1956 Sir Herman Lebus and the men who built the house took it to Buckingham Palace to present it to the Princess (who was going to be six years old on 15 August), watched by the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Charles.